It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of György Karmos, retired director of our institute, at the age of 86. György Karmos had worked at the Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology and its predecessors since 1976:
- 1976-1994 Deputy Scientific Director of the Institute
- 1994-1999 Director of the Institute
- 1993-2004 President of the Hungarian Society of Experimental Psychophysiology
- 1993-2000 Member of the board of the Hungarian Neuroscience Society
- since 2000 One of the founding professors of the Faculty of Information Technology and Bionics at Pázmány Péter Catholic University, currently Professor Emeritus
- 2013-2018 Member of the External Advisory Board of the Research Centre for Natural Sciences, Hungarian Academy of Sciences,
For his scientific excellence, he has been awarded the Széchenyi Professorial Fellowship, the Nagy Ernő Prize, the Környey Memorial Tree Award, the Ranschburg Pál Memorial Medal, and the Hungarian Order of Merit (Officer's Cross).
He has published more than 200 scientific papers, many of them in prestigious international journals. Until recently, he has been actively involved in the education of young scientists at our Institute and at the University.
His personality, his presence will be very much missed and his memory will be cherished.
May he rest in peace.